Lives and works in San Francisco, CA
Senior multidisciplinary creative executive, former founder and entrepreneur, with over 10 years of design and marketing communications experience. Skilled leader with a razor sharp focus on producing innovative campaigns that engage audiences and build brands. Expertise includes creative web design & development, digital marketing, internal & external communications, with deep analytical prowess. Ability to set strategy and execute on ideas that inspire, excite, and move audiences.
Creative Director / Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC) / San Francisco, CA / 2013 – Present
Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC) is a digital media non-profit dedicated to social change by empowering media makers to develop and share diverse stories through art, education and technology.
As Creative Director, I develop and implement multi-platform communication campaigns, forge key partner initiatives, and analyze data to design a better experience for our clients and a better future for the organization. I am the lead on all digital marketing strategy and creative direction.
- Managed BAVC’s 2015 website redesign, mobile optimization, and data restructure resulting in a 35% increase in online purchases.
- Set and execute BAVC digital marketing strategy for Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter resulting in an overall conversion increase of 20% and engagement increase of 45%.
- Developed targeted marketing campaigns to secure BAVC as the Tech Sector Operator for the City of San Francisco’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development ensuring a 92% program enrollment rate.
- Managed grant deliverables and public relations needed to secure BAVC as a 2016 National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award recipient given by the White House.
- Created and launched G:URL Gamers, an all girl game design program and curriculum. The program lead to a 2 week, all girls gaming camp with support from partnerships with industry influencers like Zynga, Girls Make Games, Girls Who Code, Unity, and Lumosity.
Founder / Ten-Four Studio / San Francisco, CA / 2009 – 2013
Ten-Four Studio is a design studio focused on strategy, branding and communications for public, private, and nonprofit businesses.
- Branding, strategy, and communications for clients such as AIDS 2012, the Mayor’s office for the District of Columbia, California College of the Arts (CCA), United Way, and the ACLU.
- Orchestrated design thinking workshops in Baltimore and Washington D.C. aimed at applying behavioural science to uncover key insights that informed and transformed client’s business strategy.
- Established key strategic marketing partnerships with Dupont, Material Connexion, and Safeway for the development of a Materials Library for designers and artists in the Bay Area.
Lecturer / Maryland Institute College of Art / Baltimore, MD / 2009 – 2011
Taught Electronic Media and Culture to freshmen students at Maryland Institute College of Art.
- Introduced students to the fundamentals of new media and industry standard platforms to create and develop digital media.
- Provided students with both critical and relevant texts to support in-class discussion on present issues in digital culture and media.
- Developed curriculum to explore different mediums including digital collage, art in the public realm, performance art and video, typography, as well as front-end web design and development.
Interactive Production Designer / Planit Advertising / Baltimore, MD / 2006 – 2009
Production designer supporting the interaction design team to deliver high-quality digital, multi-platform solutions to for profit and nonprofit clients.
- Produced front-end development solutions for clients such as PBS, Fila, and Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- Designed creative assets for a series of interactive children’s games at The Walter’s Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Supported video production and post-production work for projects with the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and Maryland Transit Administration.
Designer & Assistant Photographer / World Bank Tanzania / Dar es Salaam, TZ / 2007
Developed promotional communication and creative materials for World Bank’s brand presence; secured social and financial support in both private and public sectors of the Dar es Salaam community.
2013 – MFA Social Practice, California College of the Arts, San Francisco CA
2007 – MA Digital Art, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore MD
2004 – BFA Communication Design, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown PA
2003 -– Colchester Institute: School of Art and Design, Colchester, Essex UK
2013 / RECAPS: Reclaiming (the millennial) Generation / RECAPS / Los Angeles, CA
2013 / Symtopia / Concord Art Space / Los Angeles, CA
2013 / MFA Thesis Exhibition / California College of the Arts / San Francisco, CA
2012 / Beauty Salon / Ictus Gallery / San Francisco, CA
2012 / New York Studio: Contemporary Dialogues Around Painting / Isabelle Percey West Gallery / Oakland, CA
2012 / John Baldessari: Class Assignments (Optional) / Wattis Institute for Contemporary Arts / San Francisco, CA
2010 / Homeworks / Group Show / Community College of Baltimore County / Baltimore, MD
2009 / Baltideliphia / Group Show / Hexagon Gallery / Baltimore, MD
2009 / See You Again Last Year / Group Show / Community College of Baltimore County / Baltimore, MD
2008 / To The Teeth / Group Show / Creative Alliance / Baltimore, MD
2007 / MADA: MA Thesis Show / Group Show / Maryland Institute College of Art / Baltimore, MD
2012 / Wasteland Exhibition / College Avenue Galleries / Oakland, CA
2011 / Water Works Exhibition / Oliver Art Center / Oakland, CA
2011 / Dustin Carlson: Cowboys and Engines / Gallery Four / Baltimore, MD
2011 / Baltimore Liste / Baltimore Contemporary Museum (in collaboration with Nudashank, Current Gallery, Jordan Faye Contemporary, and Area 405) / Baltimore, MD
2011 / Andy Holtin / Gallery Four / Baltimore, MD
2010 / You & Me Living Today, Vol.2, The Land / Gallery Four / Baltimore, MD
2010 / You & Me Living Today, Vol.1, Anatomically Modern Explorers / Gallery Four / Baltimore, MD
2008 – 2009 / How We Dwell / 2625 St. Paul / Baltimore, MD
Resident Artist & Curator / Gallery Four / Baltimore MD / 2009 – 2011
Gallery Four is an artist run alternative contemporary art space in Baltimore’s energetic H&H building. Each resident takes part in selecting artists, conducting studio visits, installing work, and promoting each show. The gallery also works with larger institutions in the Baltimore area including The Baltimore Museum of Art and the former Baltimore Contemporary Museum.
Next Gen Instructor / Bay Area Video Coalition / 2013-2015
Students learn how to use the web for personal expression from back-end structure to front-end UI/UX, creating a foundation for professional web and graphic design, while focusing on the conceptual and aesthetic aspects of working with the internet as a medium.
Teaching Assistant – Aaron Gach / California College of the Arts / Spring 2012
4D: Image, Motion, and Process. Working in the fourth dimension, students investigate interactive media, storytelling, diverse cultural contributions, personal and public actions, and social connections. Students explore collaboration, digital tools, and sequence structure in varied interdisciplinary forms.
Assisted with class discussions, critiques and instruction.
Adjunct Faculty / Maryland Institute College of Art / 2010 – 2011
Electronic Media and Culture (EMAC) is a platform for students to experience working with various forms of digital art. Students are asked to read both critical and relevant texts to support in-class discussion on present issues in digital culture and media. The class explores different mediums including digital collage, art in the public realm, performance art and video, typography, as well as an introduction to html design and development.
Adjunct Faculty / Anne Arundel Community College / 2010
Digital Design Foundation. Students are introduced to the foundations of Digital Design through design history, 2-D illustration, video production, 3-D animation, and html development.
Teaching Assistant – David Reed / Maryland Institute College of Art / Spring 2007
Assisted Professor Reed in leading class discussions, lectures, and critiques for Video I. The class introduces students to basic lighting, shooting, and editing techniques while supporting conceptual experimentation with form and narrative.
Youth Mentor / AIGA: Portfolio Review Day / Baltimore, MD / 2010
Individual meetings with soon-to-be college graduates in the Baltimore/DC area to review and discuss their portfolios.
Youth Mentor / AIGA: ‘Create! Don’t Hate’ Mentor / Baltimore, MD / 2009
Mentoring three area high school students over four weeks to produce a billboard campaign promoting tolerance throughout Baltimore. The winning billboard was placed along 95 South.
Awards / Nominations
2011 – 2013 / CCA Merit Scholarship
2013 / Headlands Residency Finalist
2013 Wasserman, Martabel / RECAPS Magazine: Reclaim (the millennial) Generation / October
2012 Hotchkiss, Sarah / Students Take on Baldessari Class Assignments / January 28th
2008 Ober, Cara. How We Dwell Opening at Megan Lavelle’s, Bmore Art, December 16th
2008 Johnson, Martin. How We Dwell: Bryan Heyboer, City Paper: Baltimore, November 5th